History of the Diabetes Self-Help Group:
The Diabetes Self-Help was set up by Dr Sonal Bhavsar to offer help and support to diabetic patients, both socially and emotionally. She decided to set up a self-help group after a personal gestational diagnosis with Diabetes in 2004 and a history of diabetes in the family. With it being one of the most common conditions, she wanted to help reduce the stress factors within the community in Leicester – this is why the group was formed.
After several attempts to set up the group, the Manager of the Belgrave Library Mary Pringle offered the group a meeting place within the library premises. The group meetings began, twice a month on Saturdays.
Over time, the group expanded from a small group (5 people), to about 30 people. As the interest within the group grew, the meetings were then held once a week. These meetings consisted of group discussions, including weekly talks from health specialists and other professionals such as: Nurses, General Practitioners, Solicitors and Meditation Healers.
At present, the number of registered members consists of approximately 100!
Who can join
- If you are suffering from Diabetes Type 1 or Type 2
- If you are on a tablet or insulin
- If you are diagnosed with Borderline Diabetes
- If a family member carries Diabetes therefore, you are at high risk
- A carer of someone who is a Diabetic patient
- General public, who would like more information on Diabetes